Old Mellifont Abbey
The first Cistercian monastery in Ireland founded in 1142 by St Malachy of Armagh, its most unusual feature is the octagonal Lavabo c. 1200. The Visitor Centre houses an interesting exhibition on the work of masons in the Middle Ages with fine examples of their craft on display. Mellifont Abbey sits on the banks of the River Mattock, some 10 km (6 miles) north-west of Drogheda. As this site is managed by the OPW, school tour visits are permitted free of charge provided certain conditions are met.
PRAGHSANNA!Saor in aisce.
UAIREANTA OSCAILTE!10.00am go 6.00pm (Lua-Dom)
30 May go 4 Sep